University English Teaching

From Peace Corps Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Volunteers work with university-level students who need enhanced English language skills to make use of academic and technical resources published in English in their study of languages, literature, business, medicine, engineering, or other fields. Volunteers teach English grammar, conversation, phonetics, American literature and culture, creative writing, and linguistics; establish English language clubs and resource centers; share ideas and develop materials with fellow teachers; and integrate communicative teaching techniques into the classroom.

If you can offer a more detailed description than this standard description the Peace Corps offers, please feel free to include that so others can get a better idea of what certain work areas consist of.


Applicants must have an advanced degree, either a master's in English with a concentration in composition, creative writing, American or comparative literature, rhetorical studies, speech, or technical writing; or a master's degree in French or another foreign language, teaching English as a second language (TEFL), or linguistics, or in subjects such as history, language arts, humanities, and the social sciences.


Most applicants have full- or part-time experience as graduate teaching assistants, substitute teachers, tutors, or student teachers.

Other relevant experience includes working with community organizations or projects, working with adult literacy programs or environmental or health education, drama activities, and editing or writing for college literary magazines or newspapers.

External Links

University English Teaching Official US Peace Corps Website