Returned Peace Corps Volunteers of Washington D.C.
From Peace Corps Wiki
“Bringing the Experience Home”
We are a volunteer-run organization representing the sizable community of Returned Peace Corps Volunteers and groupies who live and work in Washington, DC. We do this through three main activities.
1. Holding social events such as happy hours, parties, field trips, and other fun, interest-based activities. Any member may start a club and utilize our network to organize it.
2. Helping local nonprofits engaged in community development meet their needs for volunteer assistance by holding regular service projects and partnering toward shared goals.
3. Helping our members advance their careers through structured professional development events and by establishing a vibrant, organized network of mentors in various industries.
From time to time, we also engage in events of a symbolic or historic nature, such as marching in a parade or participating in a public ceremony. Membership is open to all who share a passion for community service, professional development, and international engagement. The first year is always free; afterwards, dues are $15.00 per year."
RPCVw is a fun, progressive group of RPCV go-getters who are truly dedicated to the RPCVw mission:
"To foster programmed opportunities to share our unique experiences and commitment to service, we create a community that celebrates the diversity of the greater Washington area and world cultures."
We undertake and sponsor educational and charitable activities in support of the Peace Corps Third Goal initiatives, "Helping promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans." For example, for the past two years, we held an Iftar (Fast-breaking) dinner to celebrate the customs and culture of this worldly event.
We provide the foundation of a Community of Returned Peace Corps Volunteers. Since we are a membership-based organization, RPCVw is dedicated to pursuing the vision, interests, and needs of its unique membership. Our Annual Wreath-laying Ceremony at JFK's Grave brings us together to remind us all of where we came.
We Inform and educate members and the public on matters relating to economic development and developing countries, including but not limited to those countries which have been served by the Peace Corps. Every year, the members of RPCVw demonstrate their ongoing commitment to supporting international development work through the sponsorship of a Peace Corps Partnership Project. This 'black-tie' event is always a crowd pleaser!
This past year, we transitioned to an improved website and membership database be better meet the needs of our membership. RPCVw is embarking on a membership campaign to increase and retain our membership. Our goal is to offer events, activities, and programs that will encourage participation and support. Our efforts will culminate with the Peace Corps 50th Anniversary activities in 2011! So, keep your eyes open and come join us to encourage your fellow RPCVs in the Washington area to be apart of a proud membership of Returned Peace Corps Volunteers choosing to share Peace in our own country.
- Developmentary's (Peace Corps Wiki) Application Oct 2009 http://www.peacecorpswiki.org/images/RPCVapp2010PeaceProgram.pdf
- RPCVw Response: (rejected in first round) http://www.peacecorpswiki.org/images/RPCVw_app_response_DevelopmentaryInc_11-2-09.pdf