Difference between revisions of "The Application"
m (1 revision)
Latest revision as of 07:56, 21 May 2014
Step 1: The Application The first step toward becoming a Peace Corps Volunteer is to complete an application. This is an important step, so give yourself some time to work on it. The best way to apply is to complete and submit an application through the Peace Corps Website.
Whether you apply online or by mail, the process is basically the same. You'll be asked to submit the following:
- A completed Volunteer application form
- A completed Health Status Review form
- A copy of your college transcripts (an unofficial copy is okay)
- A copy of your resume
- The names of three people who will serve as your references
What's in the application? Well, there are the usual questions about your education, your work and volunteer experience, your interests and hobbies, and so on. There are also a few essay questions to give you a chance to tell us why you want to join the Peace Corps and what you're expecting to get out of the experience. The second part of the application, the Health Status Review, is designed to help us understand your medical situation so we can determine what countries and regions will allow you the best access to the health care you need.
Set aside some time to work on your application, answer everything completely and honestly, and you'll get through it fine—we promise! Remember, you can always come back to the website or call your recruiter if you run into any questions.
After your application is submitted, a few things will happen:
- If there's anything missing from your application, your recruiter will contact you to ask you for clarification or further information.
- Your recruiter will send you forms for each of your references to complete and mail back to the Peace Corps. You'll need to follow up with your references to make sure they complete the forms.
- You'll receive a letter in the mail with instructions for how to access My Toolkit, our online portal for current applicants. Through * My Toolkit, you'll be able to monitor the status of your application, keep your address up to date, and be sure to send in any additional requested information. (Many people report their on-line Toolkit updating some time after their interview).
Read about Step 2: The Interview.
Ready to apply? Take the first step by visiting Apply Now.
The Application Official US Peace Corps Website