List of resources for Kenya
Following is a list of websites for additional information about the Peace Corps and Kenya, or to connect you to returned Volunteers and other invitees. Pease keep in mind that although we have tried to make sure all these links are active and current, we cannot guarantee it.
A Note of Caution: As you surf these sites, beware that you will find bulletin boards and chat rooms in which people are free to give opinions and advice based on their own experiences. The opinions expressed are not those of the Peace Corps or the U.S. government. You may find opinions of people who were unhappy with their choice to serve in the Peace Corps. As you read these comments, we hope you will keep in mind that the Peace Corps is not for everyone, and no two people experience their service in the same way.
- 1 General Information About Kenya
- 2 Connect With Returned Volunteers and Other Invitees
- 3 Online Articles/Current News Sites About Kenya
- 4 International Development Sites About Kenya
- 5 Recommended Books about Kenya and Africa
- 6 Books About the History of the Peace Corps
- 7 Books on the Volunteer Experience
General Information About Kenya
Visit this site to learn all you need to know about any country in the world.
The U.S. State Department’s website issues background notes periodically about countries around the world. Find Kenya and learn more about its social and political history.
This site includes links to all the official sites for governments of countries around the world.
This online world atlas includes maps and geographical information about countries around the world. Each country page contains links to other sites, such as the Library of Congress, that contain comprehensive historical, social, and political background.
This United Nations site allows you to search for statistical information for member states of the U.N.
This site provides an additional source of current and historical information about countries throughout the world.
Connect With Returned Volunteers and Other Invitees
This Yahoo site hosts a bulletin board where prospective Volunteers and returned Volunteers can come together.
This is the site of the National Peace Corps Association, made up of returned Volunteers. On this site you can find links to all the Web pages of the “friends of” groups for most countries of service, made up of former Volunteers who served in those countries. There are also regional groups who frequently get together for social events and local volunteer activities. Or skip straight to the Friends of Kenya site: www.friendsofkenya.org.
This site is known as the Returned Peace Corps Volunteer Web Ring. Browse the Web Ring and see what former Volunteers are saying about their service.
This site is hosted by a group of returned Volunteer writers. It is a monthly online publication of essays and Volunteer accounts from countries around the world.
Online Articles/Current News Sites About Kenya
Site of the Daily Nation
Site of the East African Standard
News wire stories about Kenya
A site with news and travel and general information about Kenya
Site of NairobiNet online, a Kenyan Internet service provider
Another Kenyan Internet service provider
International Development Sites About Kenya
The U.S. Agency for International Development
The United Nations
Recommended Books about Kenya and Africa
- Elkins, Caroline. Imperial Reckoning : The Untold Story of Britain's Gulag in Kenya. Owl Books (reprint edition). 2005.
- Erdman, Sarah. Nine Hills to Nambonkaha: Two Years in the Heart of an African Village. New York, NY: Henry Holt and Company, 2003.
- Halperin, Helena. I Laugh So I Won't Cry: Kenya's Women Tell the Story of Their Lives. Africa World Press. 2005.
- Herrera, Susana. Mango Elephants in the Sun: How Life in an African Village Let Me Be in My Skin. Boston: Shambhala Publications, 1999.
- Kennedy, Geraldine (ed.). From the Center of the Earth: Stories Out of Africa. Santa Monica, CA: Clover Park Press, 1991.
- Kennedy, Geraldine (ed.). Hartmattan: A Journey Across the Sahara. Santa Monica, CA: Clover Park Press, 1994.
- Parkinson, Tom and Matt Phillips. Lonely Planet Kenya, 6th edition. Lonely Planet Publications Pty. Ltd. Victoria: Australia. 2006.
- Tidwell, Mike. The Ponds of Kalambayi: An African Sojourn. Guilford, Conn.: Lyons Press, 1990, 1996 (paperback).
Books About the History of the Peace Corps
- Hoffman, Elizabeth Cobbs. All You Need is Love: The Peace Corps and the Spirit of the 1960’s. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2000.
- Rice, Gerald T. The Bold Experiment: JFK’s Peace Corps. Notre Dame, IN: University of Notre Dame Press, 1985.
- Stossel, Scott. Sarge: The Life and Times of Sargent Shriver. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution Press, 2004.
Books on the Volunteer Experience
- Dirlam, Sharon. Beyond Siberia: Two Years in a Forgotten Place. Santa Barbara, CA: McSeas Books, 2004.
- Casebolt, Marjorie DeMoss. Margarita: A Guatemalan Peace Corps Experience. Gig Harbor, WA: Red Apple Publishing, 2000.
- Erdman, Sarah. Nine Hills to Nambonkaha: Two Years in the Heart of an African Village. New York, NY: Picador, 2003.
- Hessler, Peter. River Town: Two Years on the Yangtze. New York, NY: Perennial, 2001.
- Kennedy, Geraldine (ed.) From the Center of the Earth: Stories out of the Peace Corps. Santa Monica, CA: Clover Park Press, 1991.
- Thompsen, Moritz. Living Poor: A Peace Corps Chronicle. Seattle, WA: University of Washington Press, 1997 (reprint).